With all the controversy surrounding electronic cigarettes, there has been debate about whether or not they are a healthier option than normal tobacco products. In some places, e-cigarettes are allowed to be used in the workplace, since they leave no smoke or unpleasant smell that can bother other people.
Other places, however, have banned the use of the devices in public buildings and cite the fact that the health effects of using e-cigarettes is yet unknown.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons that e-cigarettes are a better option than regular cigarettes.
- Nicotine is Not Bad for You: While nicotine is addictive, studies have shown that the effects of nicotine on the human body are minimal. In traditional cigarettes, smoke and chemicals are the issue, not the nicotine itself.
- E-cigarettes Contain Fewer Chemicals: Some of the main ingredients in a tobacco cigarette include arsenic, benzene, cyanide and hydrazine. With this dirty laundry list of chemicals, it’s no wonder people get sick from smoking. Electronic cigarettes, however, contain things such as glycerin and glycol, which are substances not considered harmful.
- E-cigarettes Aren’t Carcinogenic: Since electronic cigarettes don’t contain any tobacco, they do not leave behind tar. With this lack of tobacco, the main compounds which are considered carcinogenic are absent, and will not create problems like regular cigarette smoke.
- Nicotine-Free Options: Using an e-cigarette does not necessarily mean that you are getting a dose of nicotine. There are nicotine-free options for the e-juice contained in your cigarette. Using one of these can give you the sensation of smoking without any of the addictive properties of nicotine.
- Vapor is Not Second Hand Smoke: One of the arguments against e-cigarettes is that the vapor is no different than second hand smoke. This is not the case, since e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco and harmful chemicals. The vapor does not linger or leave unpleasant odors. It is also made up of the same things that are in the e-cigarette itself, which are safe ingredients.
- No Fire Hazards: Aside from the composition of e-cigarettes, there is another health benefit that works in their favor: you don’t need a lighter, and they don’t burn. E-cigarettes are only active when you inhale. Falling asleep with a cigarette in your hand means that a burning tip can start a fire. With an e-cigarette, there is no heat and no burning tip. Falling asleep and dropping an e-cigarette only means that you have to clean it off when you wake up.
Do Your Research
As with anything, you need to research brands of e-cigarettes to make sure that they are right for you. Look into the ingredients and ask a lot of questions if you’re unsure of the contents of the e-juice. Knowing what you are getting and being comfortable with it is important.
When thinking about making the switch to electronic cigarettes, you can also think about the safety of your family and pets. Second hand smoke will no longer be an issue with an e-cigarette, and everyone will be healthier for it.